Monday, October 27, 2008

So, I voted...

I voted yesterday for the first time in my life. I figured I couldn't very well continue to criticize government decisions without having done my part and contributing to who was making those choices. So, I parked in the shopping center lot across from the recreation center where we voted. As I made my way down to the street to cross, a couple was walking towards me. The woman had this very weird look on her face as if she was sending me some sort of telepathic message to "do the right thing. Vote for Obama." I swear that's what she was thinking... My assumption that she was thinking Obama and not McCain was solely judgmental and based on her hippie attire and not the alternative, crisp, pressed look. But still...I'm pretty sure that's what her look meant....her long gaze at me freaked me out a little bit.

But, I continued on. I walked passed the assortment of flier/pamphlet hander-outers and grabbed the ones from those that seemed pretty nice...or said it was their dad or the guy himself. I decided that I liked the guy that was actually standing out there, so I made sure to vote for him. But, then I thought...well...these guys can't be at all the locations...but he was the lucky one that happened to be where I was voting. I didn't know anything about him other than that he was willing to stand there all day and I liked that.

So, as I walked inside I looked around at all the people. I swear everyone was looking at each other trying to guess inside their heads who the other person was going to vote for. I know I was doing that.... On another note...there was a group of Russians or Ukrainians or something standing in front of me in line. They were speaking in their language the entire time. The man wore tiny little glasses and carried a nice, leather man bag. I thought it was odd that they were able to vote in an American election, yet didn't bother to speak the language while waiting in line. But, I guess that's America for you...the melting pot of the world.

I don't know if I made the best decision....but I do know I did what I could and finally did my part as an American citizen.

No comments: